At Conversion Support, our mission is to provide an easy to use live chat solution to website owners, so that you can effortlessly capture more leads, provide good customer support and grow your business. We understand that not every webmaster is a code rambo; editing template files and deploying changes can mean a lot of work.
We are really excited to unveil our new offering for self hosted WordPress sites – The Conversion Support WordPress Plugin. The plugin dynamically inserts the live chat embed code in your currently active WordPress theme, so Live chat is not disturbed when you upgrade the theme or switch to a different theme framework.
Install Live Chat On Your Self Hosted WordPress site
Here is how to install Conversion Support WordPress plugin on
your WordPress site in less than 5 minutes:
1. Download Conversion Support’s WordPress plugin from the WordPress plugins directory. Once you have downloaded the file, use an archiving utility to extract the content of the package.
2. If you have an FTP client installed, login to your web hosting account, open your site’s FTP directory and navigate to “wp-content/plugins/” directory of your website. Next, upload the “Conversion support” folder to this directory.
3. Alternatively, you can remotely install the plugin within your WordPress administration area, provided you have an administrator user account. To do this, login to your WordPress administration area, go to “Plugins > Add new” and search for “Conversion Support live chat”.
In the search results page, click “Install now” and then activate the plugin.
4. Next, login to your website’s WordPress administration area, go to “Settings >
Conversion Support” and click on “Sign into Conversion Support”
5. This will open Conversion Support’s web console in a new browser tab. Simply login to your Conversion Support account, go to the “Settings” tab and copy the URL listed under the “WordPress Plugin” section.
6. Fall back to your website’s WordPress administration area and paste the same URL under “Conversion Support Chat options”.
7. Hit “Save changes” and you’re done with the installation.
Choose A Custom Position for The “Start Chat” Icon
Now that the plugin is installed, you have to choose a position for the “Start Chat” icon. If your site’s WordPress theme is widget enabled, it is fairly easy to choose a custom position for the Live chat button. Here is how to do it:
1. Login to your website’s WordPress administration area and go to “Appearance > Widgets”.
2. Drag the “Conversion Support” widget and drop it to a widget area on your site’s theme.
3. Done! Now preview your website and you will see Conversion Support’s live chat up and running.
Note: If your website’s WordPress theme is not widget enabled, you have to manually place the following code where you want the “Start chat” button to appear in your website’s template:
Note: Keep the class name “chatIcon”; if you want to style it, use a parent div tag but keep the class name “chatIcon” as it is.
To test it out, view your website. There should be a “Start Chat” button, clicking which will initiate a new chat session.
Have questions or need help in installing the plugin on your WordPress site? Please drop a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would get back to you.